Although there are risks to having dental implants, there are more benefits. In this article, we will discuss the different risks and benefits to help you make your decision as to whether have them or not. First, let’s talk about what a dental implant is. It is what is used to replace tooth roots and provide a strong foundation for removable or permanent teeth. Visit a dental implant clinic to get information and have your questions answered.
- They help restore the ability to chew as they are like your own teeth so you can eat and chew without pain and with confidence.
- Helps to keep your jawbone from shrinking because of bone loss
- Helps to keep the adjacent teeth stable
- Restores your cosmetic appearance because dental implants look and feel like your own teeth and are designed to fuse with your jawbone.
- Helps to improve your speech because if you have ill-fitting dentures, they can slip in your mouth and cause you to slur or mumble your words. With dental implants, you do not have to worry about slipping.
- Helps to preserve the health of the gums and bones that surround the area.
- They help to eliminate the discomfort that dentures can cause.
- They can help to improve your self-esteem because you want to smile more.
- They are durable and can last for years.
- When they are putting the implant in, there could be damage to the natural teeth that are surrounding it.
- During dental implant surgery, there could be an injury to the surrounding tissues or maybe a fracture of the jawbone.
- Your teeth may not bite together naturally.
- The abutment screw may start to loosen giving you a sensation that it is twisting in place or feeling loose.
- Have trouble cleaning your gums around the implant.
- Nerve damage or impingement can occur and cause post-surgical numbness.
- There can also be implant body failure, which means looseness of the implant because of local infection in the gums and bone that are supporting the implant.
- There could be delayed healing if you are a smoker
- If you have uncontrolled diabetes you could have a systemic infection.
When you visit the dental implant clinic for your consultation for getting implants, you tell them about any medical conditions you have as they can affect your dental implants, indicated in the risks section.
When looking at the risks and benefits, they are both even. Having dental implants is a welcome alternative to having bridgework or dentures, especially if the roots of your natural teeth do not allow building bridgework or denture tooth replacements.
In addition to the risks and benefits of having dental implants, you should also consider that this process can take several months from beginning to end. Most of this time is for healing and new bone growth in your jaw. Consider all of these things before deciding if dental implants are right for you.
Lastly finding the right dental implants Indiranagar clinic is important, a clinic where the dentist provides you with proper dental care.